11.7.2019 Westchester County
Westchester Independent Living Center is a consumer-controlled, non-residential organization that provides information and advocacy services to persons with disabilities. In collaboration with ACCES-VR, provide an enhanced component of service delivery for consumers with disabilities that promotes self-reliance, recovery, self-advocacy, self-image, and self-determination/self-sufficiency. Provide emotional support and information and facilitate linkages to community resources.
POSITION: Peer Independent Living Specialist
SALARY: $23/hr. 35 hours per week
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Researches and maintains well organized, accurate, up-to-date information on benefits, entitlements and community services. Assists consumers with disabilities in learning about and accessing community resources and entitlements. Assists consumers in identifying barriers in their lives that are preventing them from pursuing employment and/or educational goals. Provides direct Peer IL Services/training in the areas of: Self-advocacy/self-sufficiency; obtaining reasonable accommodations; understanding rights and responsibilities in employment as a person with a disability (PWD); transportation coordination; and self-management and systems navigations.
Maintains accurate, up-to-date consumer records on services provided. Records are compliant with funding source requirements. Attends ACCES-VR Orientations and provides info re: Peer Integration Program. Works closely with ACCES-VR counselors to ensure referrals to the Peer Integration Program throughout the “life” of the individuals’ ACCES-VR case. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Executive Director.
- Must be an individual with a disability as defined in the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) amendments of 2006.
- Must have demonstrated work experience in peer service delivery.
- Must be well organized and able to work independently.
- Must be capable of managing multiple priorities.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving and good follow-up skills necessary.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
Attention: Rebecka Palmer