Westchester Independent Living Center, Inc. (WILC) and its satellite office Putnam Independent Living Services (PILS) is a consumer directed, non-residential, information, referral and advocacy center serving people with disabilities, seniors and veterans. We currently have an opening for a Full-time Transition Specialist in our Open Doors Transition Center Program based out of our Putnam County office in Brewster, NY. The Transition Specialist assists individuals to transition out of institutional settings by educating them on community- based services and assisting in the development of a discharge plan that will facilitate their move back to the community. They also provide follow along assistance for 1 year period post discharge.
POSITION: Transition Specialist, Full-time
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
- Coordinates visits to nursing homes and other institutions to provide residents, families and discharge planners with objective information about available home and community based and other potentially necessary services which may assist them to transition back to the community.
2. Participates in discharge planning meetings and coordinates with other relevant social service and community-based agencies involved in the discharge and transition care of the resident.
3. Explains the peer mentor program to residents and refers those interested in the program to it.
4. Ensures all significant consumer data and service provision details are currently and accurately documented into the WILC/PILS and NYAIL databases according to each agencies policy.
5. Develops, facilitates and maintains the Community Education Checklist which includes a Conflict Free Person-Centered Plan for transition.
6. Participates in various long-term care coalitions, human service councils and outreach efforts as requested by Program Coordinator.
7. Attends agency sponsored in-service trainings, activities; program and staff meetings.
8. Performs additional duties as requested by Program Coordinator and/or Director.
Bachelor’s degree in a human service field and two years of relevant experience working in a human service environment and/or with community based long term care services programs. An appropriate combination of skills, experience and education can be accepted in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree. Experience with case management, service coordination or care management is desired. Candidate should be familiar with various community based services, HCBS Waiver and MLTC programs; be comfortable working with people with physical, mental and intellectual disabilities. The candidate will have excellent written, oral communication and organizational skills; be computer and internet literate, able to work independently and as part of a team. They should have a commitment to self-direction, person-centered planning and consumer choice. Reliable transportation on a daily basis is required as program covers a 7 county region including the counties of Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester. This position will focus on facilities located in the Orange, Sullivan, and Dutchess counties. Some evening and weekend availability may be required. Bi-lingual (English-Spanish is a plus).
For consideration, email a thoughtful cover letter with resume to: Tracy Marcus, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the job title as email header in the subject line. Please no faxes or phone calls.
Persons with disabilities, women, and minority individuals strongly encouraged to apply.